Friday, March 28, 2008

My journal from France

So it’s 4:30 PM (or 11:30 in the US) and I’m in Nice, France. I’ve been here almost a whole day, and have done relatively nothing. But the coolest part of my journey here has been the people I’ve met and the stereotypes that were destroyed.


I suppose I must explain that one. While in the air between Chicago and Paris, I asked the French man that I had switched if he could direct me to the Gare SNCF (Train station) that I would be leaving from to come to Nice. Not only was he helpful in getting me direction to there, but also help me navigate my way through the airport up until that point. French people = rude… not so much. 

So after a couple hours at the airport, my train finally left for Nice. It was a quiet 6-hour journey through the heart of France. I saw a lot of cool places on the way.  When we were approaching our stop in Nice, I asked a woman sitting by me if she knew where my hostel was. She did not, but she offered to help me find it because she had parked around there. After walking around and asking a bunch of people, we finally arrived at my hostel. Thus French people 2, stereotype 0. 

After lugging my stuff upstairs (to what would be the 3rd floor in the US) and into the office, I was able to get checked in. I went into my room, only to find two English girls also in there.  That was a bit of a shock, but I figured that I should expect it because they were listed as mixed. We ended up going out around 8 for tea, dinner, and a drink (a small joint for a tea, and restaurant for dinner, and a pub for a drink). I love France. I honestly loved that I could have a glass of wine, and that there wasn’t a lot of drunkenness around me. It was a good night.

So onto today, I got to bed around midnight (probably a little before) and slept (with a 5 minute or so interruption) until almost 3. It was a very, very good sleep! After finishing this, I think I’m going to walk down to the beach and to the bus station to figure out my bus for Sunday. I will probably grab a quick bite to eat somewhere also. Seeing as it is almost 6, I think I’ll head down that way now. I don’t want to waste my entire day up in my room!


Until later or tomorrow, adieu!


Okay, now it’s 9:10, and I’m sitting in Subway, because they allow people who eat here to access the internet. I’ve called a few people, though nobody answered! I’m in the process of making on final call. I think that after I get off the phone I’ll take my stuff back and maybe walk to a bar and have a glass of wine. I don’t know… I figure I’ll get another good night sleep and explore more tomorrow.


Until I write again…

Nathan 


No comments: